Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Star Trek?

So, we just got back from (I know, finally) watching the new Star Trek Movie. I give it a 6.5 out of 10. It was entertaining, but they seemed to have a hard time staying true to the original series and this caused me to interrupt my attention with a lot of, "Hmmmmm, I wonder why they changed this?" or "I wonder why they did that?" thoughts.

It was very thin on plot, depending heavily on cliche, and relentlessly paced. A lot of gratuitous action and many nonsensical events. It was more like watching someone play a video game than having a story one could get involved with. A great film for 12 year olds, and for adults to watch once on DVD, but I regret spending $21.50 for a theatre experience that was so shallow and not very true to the Star Trek genre.

It seems like this has become the norm lately (or perhaps not so lately and I just don't get out enough to notice it). Movies made for people who lack the emotional range or depth to enjoy a plot but are rather filled with pointless action sequences and special effects to hold the attention of those without attention spans. I know it's just Star Trek, but really... some dialog and actual acting might be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment